Saturday, February 21, 2009

Beth Cruse

Hi, I'm Beth Cruse. I was Program Coordinator my first year at Quidnunc and Assistant Director the next. I was a Troop leader in New York City for my daughter's (Vicki Cruse Sengele) Brownie troop and I brought her to camp with me those first two years. They were the best two years of my life. We grew up singing the Quidnunc campfire songs, playing them on our guitars, and Vicki has taught them to her daughter. 

Thank you for the memories. I still love singing the songs and still love the harmony parts. What a joy it would be to see the Camp Quidnunc again and to sit around the campfire. I can't wait to conect with the Alumni.

Does anyone remember how Kanawaukee lake got its name? An old Indian had walked across the country and when he got to the shore of the lake, he sat on a stone and declaired, " I kanawaukee no more!"


"Do you remember one summer during the break two counselors went to Yellowstone to camp. During the night (zipped in sleeping bags) they were attacked by a bear. He killed one (she was from a nearby camp) and the Quidnunc counselor returned to camp ith a broken arm? She was avery pretty curly headed blonde. Short. I will be able to pick them out of the picture when I find it or we get the other enlarged. I can evrn remember the sound of her voice, but not her name."

"Mother Nay Nay was our nature counselor (a bit heavy with long curly brown hair) I think her name was Jeanette.One night the campers filled the bottom of her sleeping bag with spagitti left over from dinner. Every one turned in early that night and Mother Nay Nay was the last to go. I was already assleep and did not know what had been planned. We were all concerned about snakes in our sleeping bags. When her feet hit the bottom of the bag, all hell broke loose The next day there was spagitti for 10 feet out from the door of her tent platform. Sue and Sue were the water front counselors. Ronny ( Short heavy red- blonde hair) was the Director. We had a pretty ,tall, young Rustic camping counselor whose name I can't remember. "

4 comments:

  1. I loved Camp Quidnunc and Camp Laughing Water
    by Linda E. Nahum, 3/31/09
    I feel so fortunate to have experienced Girl Scout Camp! I went down the Susquehanna several times - and tipping over at one of the rapids and having our food float down the river while the others in our unit tried to grab it as it went by, our Swedish counselor was taking pictures. Also went down the Delaware River -- not to mention backpacking the App trail. I had the best experience in Outpost and met people I will never forget, even if I did forget some of their names. I would like to know if there are other reunions. Thank you- Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Camp Quidnunc and Camp Laughing Water
    by Linda E. Nahum, 3/31/09
    I feel so fortunate to have experienced Girl Scout Camp! I went down the Susquehanna several times - and tipping over at one of the rapids and having our food float down the river while the others in our unit tried to grab it as it went by, our Swedish counselor was taking pictures. Also went down the Delaware River -- not to mention backpacking the App trail. I had the best experience in Outpost and met people I will never forget, even if I did forget some of their names. I would like to know if there are other reunions. Thank you- Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda, email me directly, we don't see your email address when you make a comment!
    Kathy
    klena@roadrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, I think we bunked together. You made a very big impression on me. Youtold me about how your husband left his PhD work when traveling. You helped me make a dress.
    Jope all is well with you and Vicki and your husband.
    Love - Linda lenahum@aol.com

    ReplyDelete