Friday, October 12, 2007

Memories by Lisa

Camplife was difficult for me because I was sent so young (6 years old) and had trouble adjusting. Like everyone, I've got lots of memories but what really stands out is what I learned.

I learned how to make smores, how to collect kindling and build a campfire, how to make a bedroll, how to pack a duffle bag, how to make "hospital corners", how to roll up tent flaps, how to fold a flag, how to swim, how to paddle a canoe (bow and stern), how to tip a canoe, get back in it, bail it out (with our bathing caps) and continue home.

I vividly recall going on a ridiculously long hike and sleep over where I stepped in a next of yellow jackets and had to spend the night in the woods, feeling just horrible. Last summer when my daughter stepped in a nest of caught 16 stings, I was truly able to sympathize!

My favorite part of camp were those nights when we would have a sing. We would form a giant circle. I always wondered where these songs came from and how everyone knew all the words. It was very comforting to me to hear the music and harmony. I learned how to sing in a round. Today I am a musician and I teach music to pre-schoolers in Manhattan.

I attended Quidnunc until 8th grade when I decided to hang out with my friends in New York but what I learned at Quidnunc has truly endured.

Lisa Ellex

No comments:

Post a Comment