Monday, March 30, 2009

Elyse's Reminiscences

 I was really, really quiet in those days. I think my tentmates were Carol White, Rosemalie Uht, and Toby Lipschitz. The reason I remember their names so well is that way back then, I actually wrote everybody's name on the back of my photos. I wish I had been as careful about doing that when it came to the rest of my life. I certainly remember Peri and the other Minnesota twin, KB (although KB was not our counselor) and Ellen Muth because they were just so dynamic and fun. I also remember Boni (isn't her real name Bona?) who came from Texas. I can't remember Karen at all though. One of my picture shows Peri, Ellen & Mo McConnell. Weren't they the Neppie's Counselor? My memory is playing tricks on me; I remember some things so well and others not at all. 

I know Joey Tyson and Sandy Dunbar were in Neppies because I have them in my pictures and recognize their faces in them, but not because I have real memories of them at this point. I do remember the Kesner girls, Debbie, Diane (Debbie's twin who I don't think was in Neppies that year) and Libby, who I did a lot of canoeing with. I also remember Doggie Grossman and her sister Babs; Doggie always seemed like everyone's older sister somehow.  I don't remember Laurie Schultz or Grace or her cat.

I have some additional names for you, thanks to the backs of my pictures. Do you remember Lois Sotinsky, Pat McBride, Rose Weitz, Gwynn Danielson or Kathy Barbarsuli? Or someone named Shelley? Or Pam Crabtree? She & I suffered as kitchen aides in 1968. Do remember bear scares?

By the way, the Swedish counselor's name was Lena Nillson, not Oleson. I just found it spelled on the back of a photo.

It's good to know there are other women out there who were as affected by their time at Camp Quidnunc as I was. Forget Disneyland, Camp Quidnunc was the happiest place on earth.

Cheers,

Elyse

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elyse,

    It is so wonderful to hear from you after 40+ years. I do remember Patty McBride. She, Doggie Grossman, and I were tentmates in Neppies in 1965. The Shelley you are referring to is probably Michelle Frisch. There was a second Shelley, Rochelle, who was a pot girl with us in 1968.

    Pam Crabtree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda Peck Ardrey11:21 AM, April 17, 2009

    Great memories! even though I wasn't there the same years. When I was a counselor at Brady (1960-61) I had Debbie and Diane Kesner in my unit, Birch Hill. One of them was extremely homesick and would cry at night. I remember going to her cabin and trying to comfort her. I'm pretty sure she wound up having a good time. Glad to see she eventually made it to the most beautiful place in the world, Quidnunc!
    Linda Peck Ardrey

    ReplyDelete